25 September 2008

Idle thoughts from the moment

Been a while since I blogged and I thought it was time. Here are some of the things going on at the moment.
  • The Red Sox clinched a playoff spot this week. This will be their 5th playoff appearance in the last 6 years. They also become only the second defending World Series Champion in the last 6 years to make the playoffs in the following season. The last one? The 2005 Boston Red Sox.

  • Patriots wide receiver Troy Brown announced his retirement today. Brown, an 8th round draft pick by the Pats in 1993, was with the team for 15 seasons and is the franchise's all-time leader in receptions and punt returns. He finishes his career with 3 Super Bowl rings, 2 AFC Championship rings, and a host of memories most players will never have. Brown is proof that being the biggest, strongest, or fastest won't garner as much success in the NFL as being smarter, working harder, and loving it more will.

  • Heard part of Jon Keller's segment this morning on WBZ. He blamed the US Government's inability to move beyond party bickering and petty squabbling on the fact that the country is run by the Me Generation, a narcissistic group of sanctimonious half-wits who claim to have uncompromising principles to serve the public interest while they seek to advance their own agendas. Keller's right. The lot of them can go to hell.

  • Given the situation in Washington, I'm somewhat happy that my brother's friend did not win the primary. Washington is a hive of liars and unscrupulous human scum. Neither would have been served well by the experience.

  • Aidan turns 4 in 18 days. Unbelievable how time flies. Pretty soon, I'm going to have to start wondering about homework and first grade.

  • Not sure how many of you live in New Hampshire, but if you do and follow NH school sports, check out the NHIAA community at www.mondopulse.com. Sign up and follow your favorite team.

I'm going to close out with an update on my fantasy football team. For those of you who don't remember, I drafted a pretty decent team. Since the draft, however, the team has gone downhill. I've benched my first round pick (Braylon Edwards), traded away my second round pick (Houshmandzadeh), and cut my starting QB (Bulger) as well as my 12th, 14th, 15th, and 16th round picks. My starting QB is now a guy I picked up off waivers on a whim (O'Sullivan), offered a TE averaging nearly 13 points a week to 4 people, and I'm down to the point where I'm speculating that a retread on an injured team (Koren Robinson) can resuscitate my wide receivers.

No comments: